I did not collapse over the weekend or die or get sucked up a drain pipe or any other such worries you or I may have had about crossing the imaginary temporal threshold between 2015 and 2016. I am here, changed because every day changes you, but not changed because I have fully come to terms with my issues and resolved them as sometimes I have imagined in the past this passage would provide or make me capable of doing. It, as the lady says, doesn’t have to be that way anymore, either.
Instead, I have a lot of hard, hard, back-breaking work to do. So we can’t get overly hyper about January 1st. January 4th and the return to work, relatively visionless and deeply concerned, are both on their way so, my friends, instead we get grateful of the last stretch of time to get quiet. And from that comes a desire to be glad and to use this blog to refocus.
I have done lists of gratefulness before – I don’t think you can get too much gratitude. It centers you amidst your own universe, so you don’t get too far ahead or behind yourself.
- I am grateful for this time, however poorly or grandly I spent it. It, like every other 10-day stretch, went too fast regardless.
- I am grateful as hell for the desire to work on the novel again. Even if it takes a cheap reason like the cut of a character’s jib to get my rhetorical wheelhouse turning – it’s yet another example of the reason not bearing much on the result. It is the work that matters and getting this strange and important part of my life together.
- I am grateful I was willing to get on the scale today. I am grateful because that was quite a scare it gave me. Like shit, howdy. You can’t eat like you do, darling and expect to stay at the same not good but not scary spot forever. Things do shift even if you aren’t watching them move. It makes sense out of a lot of odd body things I’ve been experiencing. It also makes sense because I started tracking today. I need to rearrange things here, but I need to share that every day because I SO don’t want you to know. I live for your approval and eating shittily and saying, “yes, I did have four doughnut holes to match four garlic knots and a piece of pizza and some popcorn and I don’t feel bad about it” does have a strange power over me to actually make me feel – not bad – just alert to what I can do to look good for you. Again, bad reasons, fine results.
- Just about getting on my bike. Don’t care that it’s 10:45p.m. Gonna be that way a ton this year.
- I am grateful for old Liz Phair songs, the Pharos Gate, Lucille Clifton, the limbic system.
- I am grateful for this meditation video and being able to relate to it. And the School of Life in general.